Guinea opens probe into Ex-leader Conde for murder, other crimes

NNA - 

Guinea has opened a judicial investigation into ex-president Alpha Conde and several other former top officials for murder, torture, kidnappings, looting and rapes.

Prosecutors in a suburb of the capital Conakry announced this in a statement dated May 6 which was received by AFP on Thursday.

The alleged acts were committed in the run-up to a controversial referendum on constitutional change allowing Conde a third term and contested elections in March 2020 that he claimed he had won.

Conde, today aged 84, was ousted by mutinous soldiers in September last year amid anger at his successful bid for a third term.

The others targeted with Conde are his former prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana, ex-defence minister Mohamed Diane and "several others", the statement said.

Thu, May 12, 2022, 3:16 PM·2 min read

Guinea has opened a judicial investigation into ex-president Alpha Conde and several other former top officials for murder, torture, kidnappings, looting and rapes.

Prosecutors in a suburb of the capital Conakry announced this in a statement dated May 6 which was received by AFP on Thursday.

The alleged acts were committed in the run-up to a controversial referendum on constitutional change allowing Conde a third term and contested elections in March 2020 that he claimed he had won.

Conde, today aged 84, was ousted by mutinous soldiers in September last year amid anger at his successful bid for a third term.

The others targeted with Conde are his former prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana, ex-defence minister Mohamed Diane and "several others", the statement said.

In 2010, Conde became the first democratically elected president in the history of the West African country. --AFP

 

================= L.Y

تابعوا أخبار الوكالة الوطنية للاعلام عبر أثير إذاعة لبنان على الموجات 98.5 و98.1 و96.2 FM

  • NNA Services
  • Email Service
  • Mobile App
  • Responsive Website